Friday, May 17, 2013

Book Review: I AM J by Cris Beam

Published: 2011, Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Format: Hardcover
Genre: YA for Adults


J, born as Jeni, thinks that if gender were assigned, he we was given the wrong assignment.  J knows he is a man, though his developing, female-born body is betraying him.  When a conflict with his best friend forces J to question his life, he begins to make the changes he knows will align with his true self.  I am J is an example of LGBT fiction that reads like a true story, thanks to the authentic narrative Cris Beam provides.  It serves a two fold purpose of helping those who self-identify as LGBT know they are not alone, and it helps everyone learn empathy and gain perspective of the life of a trans teen. With New York City as a setting, I am J explores the universal themes of family conflicts, acceptance, and self-discovery, while also portraying the unique and often challenging life of being transgender.  An important, inspiring story for both teens and adults.

-Amy 

0 comments:

Post a Comment